Moving More… when you’re working a desk job
As summer is now in full swing, it’s hard to sit still at our desks all day. I know when it’s getting warmer out my body craves more movement. As most of sit and work most of the day I’ve been thinking about some various ways to move in more creative and fun ways, so it doesn’t feel so much as a chore. Instead of thinking, “wow, I’ve been sitting and working at my desk for 5 hours and haven’t gotten up… I should probably move.” change your mindset to, “ I’m going to move around a little so my body doesn’t stiffen and I can re-energize myself.”
Why Should we move around?
Moving around throughout the work day has been shown to make you more creative, increase heart health, and optimize blood flow (So we don’t feel like we need a crowbar to get out of the chair). Sitting still all day, poor posture, and repetitive motion has been shown to cause or worsen musculo-skeletal disorders. Being sedentary, as well as sitting all day has been linked to numerous health issues including:
Low back pain
Headaches & eye strain
Effective shoulder & Neck Rolls
Some Simple ways to get moving while working a desk job could be as simple as taking a few minutes to do some slow and controlled neck and shoulder rolls. Simply sit up straight, take a long inhale and begin rollings your neck in a big circle. Exhale, and go the other way. Neck rolls aren’t optimal or don’t feel good? That's okay, try shoulder rolls. With big inhales and exhales begin rolling your shoulders forwards, then backwards. These simple movements can begin to make a big difference in how our body feels after a long days work.
Go for a walk
If you’re feeling foggy or feel like you’ve been stuck doing the same thing for a while, drop everything, and take a little walk. Set a timer for 10-15 minutes and get up and stretch your legs out, get a little closer to your daily steps goal. Even a few laps around the office can help reset and recharge the mind. Maybe once you sit back at your desk, you'll have a brand new idea that can help you finish what you're working on. If you're wanting to get a little more movement, try parking a little further away in the parking lot, taking the stairs, and going on walks during the lunch break.
My favorite way to move around the office is stretching. Stretching is a great way to get oxygen into your muscles, loosen your body, and increase flexibility. According to the experts over at 'Health Line', these are the ultimate stretched to do while at work:
1. Raise your arm and bend it so that your hand reached toward the opposite side.
2. Use your other hand and pull the elbow toward your head
3. Hold for 10 to 30 seconds.
4. Repeat on the other side.
Upper body and arm stretch
1. Clasp hands together above the head with palms facing outward.
2. Push your arms up, stretching upward.
3. Hold pose for 10 to 30 seconds
Shoulder/ Pectoralis stretch
1. Clasp hands behind your back.
2. Push the chest outward, and raise chin towards the sky.
3. Hold the pose for 10 to 30 seconds.
1. Clasp your hands in front of you and lower your head in line with your arms, similar to a diving position.
2. Reach your arms forward and hold for 10 to 30 seconds.
You can preform this stretch sitting, or stand for a more intensified stretch.
1. extend your legs out in front of you.
2. Slowly your back and reach toward your toes.
3. Hold 10 to 30 seconds.
There’s so many safe and efficient ways to stretch sitting or standing, get creative with what your body craves and needs. After all, were made to move.